The 15th Japan International MANGA Award Guidelines for Application
To spread MANGA culture overseas and promote international cultural exchanges through MANGA.
(1) The Gold Award of the Japan International MANGA Award will be given to the best MANGA work, the Silver Award to three excellent works, and the Bronze Award to other eleven works.
(2) The Gold Award and the Silver Award winners will be invited to Japan approximately for 10 days on the occasion of the award ceremony as an extra prize (the Bronze Award winners are not entitled).
3. Conditions of Entry
(1) Eligible MANGA works need to be composed of more than 16 pages. Both published and unpublished works are eligible to apply, excluding the ones that won the Japan International Manga Awards in the past.
(2) Eligible MANGA works should be produced within the past three years (2018-2021) from the date of application.
(3) Eligible MANGA works must be submitted in electronic form (PDF) or printed form (Works submitted in electronic form will be printed for selection procedures).
(4) Publishing companies outside Japan can apply for the Japan International MANGA Award if the copy right holder of the MANGA work agrees to the application.
(5) Either the comic artist or story writer of the submitted work has to be a non-Japanese. The representative who will participate in the invitation program given to the Gold / Silver Award winners must be a non-Japanese as well.
(6) Only one work may be accepted per comic artist.
In case of multiple entries, only the first entry will be accepted.
(7) For the purpose of publicity, the MANGA Award Executive Committee may use the winner’s MANGA works (partially) upon approval from the copyright holders.
4. How to Apply (Please refer to the attached file as well.)
(1) Application Period:
April 7th 2021 – July 8th 2021 (entries must arrive by this date)
When you apply, submit the following two documents.
The work should be submitted in either of the three forms below;
a) TWO copies of the printed work
b) ONE copy in electronic form (PDF)
c) ONE copy of the printed work and ONE copy in electronic form (PDF)
(3) Sending Address:
1) For applicants who live in Bahrain.
Sending address by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sending address by post:
Cultural & PR Section
Embassy of Japan in Bahrain
P.O.Box 23720, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
＊If you send Manga work by post indicate“The 15th Japan International MANGA Award manga award”on the top left-hand corner on the envelope.
2) For applicants who live in Japan
・Sending address for Manga Work
Attn: PIC of “The 15th Japan International MANGA Award”
Cultural Affairs and Overseas Public Relations Division,
Director General for Cultural Affairs, Minister’s Secretariat
Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan
2-2-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8919
*It is not allowed to bring your applications in person. The details of data submission will be notified individually after the submission of the Application Form.
・An Application Form(Excel), filled in either English or Japanese, must be submitted in electronic form. If you submit your printed work, enclose a printed copy of the submitted Application Form.
・Name the electronic files of the Application Form (Excel) and the Manga Work as the first name and family name of the Manga artist. ex）TaroGaimu.xlsx TaroGaimu.pdf
・Eligible MANGA works that have been submitted in electronic form will be printed for the selection procedure. Make sure that the submitted work fits the A4 paper size when printed.
・Page numbers must be indicated on every page of the work.
・If the work is not in the form of a book, it needs to be indicated clearly if there is any two-page spread in the work.
・Although the form of the submission will not affect the selection results in any way, where possible, applicants are advised to choose the option c). In case the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country specifies the form of submission, applicants are advised to follow it.
・Additional copies may be requested for works being considered for an award.
5. Return of Works
The submitted works will not be returned to the applicants. Therefore, if the work has not yet been published, it is advisable to submit duplicated copies of the work and keep the original. The submitted works might be donated or exhibited.
After the first round of screening by the Association of Japanese Manga Publishers, the 15th Japan international MANGA Award Selection Committee will be responsible for the selection procedures.
7. Award Ceremony
The award ceremony is planned to be held in Tokyo in February 2022.
※Regarding the invitation of winners to Japan and the Award Ceremony, the MANGA
Award Executive Committee will make the decision based on the situation of COVID-19 infections.